Heating our homes is one of the main reasons we use such a large amount of energy – especially in the colder months. Using a modern, more energy efficient boiler can significantly reduce your energy usage and bills.
Here's a quick introduction to boilers and how you can make changes to save energy and save money.
For more information please look at the following pages:
There are two main types of boilers:
- Regular boilers (or “heat only” boilers) which provide heat for central heating and hot water via a hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard.
- Combination (or “combi” boilers) which provide heat to a central heating system and generate ‘on-demand’ hot water directly to taps and showers.
Boilers generally use gas, oil, or electricity to generate their heat. Gas boilers are relatively cheap to run (and generate the least carbon dioxide), whereas electric boilers are very expensive.
Replacing old boilers
Old boilers (more than 10 years old) waste a lot of energy and money and should be replaced.
Grants to help cover replacement costs may be available through the Energy Company Obligation (ECO) from your local energy supplier.
If you really want to go green and save money then we would recommend that you look at options to generate heat from renewable sources such as air source heat pumps, ground source heat pumps, biomass boilers and solar thermal panels.
British Gas are offering to supply and fit a new gas boiler for only £250* including VAT, subject to qualification and survey. You don’t need to be a British Gas customer.
But you must
- own your home or rent from a private landlord
- have an inefficient gas boiler
- receive one of this list of qualifying benefits.
Call British Gas on 0800 316 4320 and quote code WIN01 or visit their website. You need to have:
✓ The make and model of your gas boiler
✓ Your most recent letter telling you the benefits you get
✓ Your landlord's permission (if you rent)
British Gas wants to fit new gas boilers where it will make a real difference and help you make savings on your heating bills. A gas boiler can become inefficient over time, so if your current gas boiler does not heat your home well, give British Gas a call with the make and model of your gas boiler and they can check this for you and quickly assess to see if it qualifies or not.
The small print
* Terms and conditions apply - see www.britishgas.co.uk/lowcostboilers. Offer subject to qualification and survey and open to residential properties only: home-owners or those renting from a private landlord. Only customers on certain benefits will qualify and the survey will review the efficiency of your current gas boiler, the boiler needs to be inefficient (C-rated or lower). Please call us or check the website to see if you are eligible. Offer only applies to boiler measures recommended by an appointed surveyor and offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other British Gas offer. Additional charges may apply but 70% of customers were quoted £250 at survey stage between 1 April and 31 August 2015.
± British Gas record calls to help improve their service to you. Calls to 0800 numbers are free. Phone lines are open Monday to Friday, 9am-7pm. Closed on Bank Holidays.